Monday, July 4, 2011

Celebrating our Independence, "...One nation, under God.."

Hello all,

This weekend, here in the United States, we celebrate our independence.  It was back in the 1776 time frame that we officially declared to be an independent and self governed people.  Or did we?

Many recent events in my life have been causing me to take notice of where we are at as society in the US.  Knowing that I have readers from around the world, allow me to share a few things, a few observations I have noticed happening in my world.

When I was younger things were different.  Integrity, honor, self discipline, hard work, honesty, trust, and all sorts of traits that we called "character" were lived as a part of every day life.  Sure, there were a few bad apples in the bunch, but for the most part people were decent.

When the milk man delivered milk, we knew that he was delivering good milk, and he knew that we'd have the money in the milk shoot when he dropped it off.  Everyone did it.  Everyone put their money in the milk shoot for the milk man.  There wasn't even a key on the milk shoot.

We'd also go to the store and buy everything on credit.  There was this place in Random Lake called "Hill's Superette"  They would total it all up and they would write down the total on a piece of paper.  Typically on Friday my mom and dad would go in and settle up the account.  We kids would go in and buy fresh made sandwiches and a soda and put it on the tab.  If mom and dad didn't know about it or didn't approve of it, they would pay the bill and deal with us later.

I remember many times when my mom would go to the local gas station and fill up our car and forget to pay for it.  They would call us and tell us that mom forgot to pay again.  Usually I would have to ride my bike down to the gas station with the money.  While I was down there I would buy a burrito with my paper route money.

I also remember one specific transaction that happened with my uncle and another man.  They were talking about selling a car.  When my uncle sold it, as the man was driving away with it, I asked him how much he got for the car.  He said the amount and I asked to see it.  He said that he didn't have it and the guy was going to come back on Friday with the money.  I asked him how he knew the guy was going to come back and pay.  Simple, my uncle said, we looked each other in the eye and shook on it.

The idea of people doing the right thing was just expected.  People are going to make mistakes and everyone knows it, but most everyone seemed to want to do the right thing.

So how does this all fit in with Independence day.  As we celebrate Independence Day here in the United States, I also believe we are also celebrating Dependence Day.  Wars have been fought, people died, lives sacrificed so that we can say:

"I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, UNDER GOD, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

So while we express our independence as a nation, free to be self governed, or founding fathers also had a basis, an over arching framework, from whom our freedom and liberties come and are dependent.  God!

Several times recently I have been chastised for bringing up God in public.  There is a time for religion and God, but not when you are working or are dealing with people in public or work.  Yet every time we say the Pledge of Allegiance, we acknowledge that we are one nation, under God and most people don't think twice about it. (I know veterans do!)  Then I realized, that is a problem!  My God is all integrity, honor, trust, self discipline, hard work, and love.  I have noticed, as we try harder and harder to remove God from everyday life and keep Him only for Sunday mornings, mid week bible studies, and the occasional wedding and funeral, it seems that we are losing all those things we call "character" in everyday life. 

I long to see the good old days again.  A day where we can leave our doors unlocked, where we can let our kids outside to play and know they are safe, where when we shake someones hand in a transaction there is meaning and integrity behind both people.  It is getting to the point where we are going to need a lawyer to buy a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk.

So this July 4th, Independence Day, let us in the United States remember our Dependence now and daily as "...one nation, under GOD!...."

Have a Blessed holiday,

Tom

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I try to do things via handshake where possible. Only a handful of people have not honored their commitments. There are some good people left in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I wholeheartedly agree! There was a great article in the local paper that goes right along with what you have said! http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700148938/The-Fourth-of-July-and-religion.html

    ReplyDelete